About Harvey Beresford
Harvey Beresford established Beresford Dispute Resolution in January, 2016 after leaving Hicks Morley. Throughout his career as counsel, negotiator, mediator, facilitator, strategic advisor and conflict resolution systems designer, Harvey has always worked to find practical solutions to labour, employment and human resources issues. Harvey has been regularly recognized as a leading labour and employment lawyer in Canada. He offers an exceptional depth of experience and expertise to clients seeking mediation and arbitration services.
Career Highlights—Private Sector
- Co-designed the model for the Electrical Power Systems Construction Association and the Electrical Power Systems Sector for Ontario Hydro
- Developed the “Grievance Commissioner” expedited arbitration process for Inco.
- Designed one of the first multi-level occupational health & safety committee structures in Ontario in advance of any legislation requiring committees
- Facilitated the redesign of the first private sector pension plan to receive special Federal Government regulations allowing solvency deficiency relief.
Career Highlights—Public Sector
- Co-designed the Physician Services Committee, the dispute resolution process used by doctors and the Ontario government for over a decade.
- Advised the Ontario Minister of Education on teacher and school board negotiations that led to the first provincial framework agreements.
- Mediated and facilitated agreements between the Government of Ontario and chiropractors, optometrists, physiotherapists, laboratories and drug manufactures.
Harvey has developed and given workshops, led seminars and lectured extensively on labour law and conflict resolution for the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Ontario Bar Association and many more organizations across Canada. His community activities include having served as a member of the Board of Governors of Massey Hall and Roy Thomson Hall for 12 years and as president of the North Toronto Hockey Association. He holds a BA and an LLB from Queen’s University.